Friday, January 13, 2012

Multi-Disabilities and Coping Methods

As a parent of a child with special needs, often the disability is not to just one local area. With cerebral palsy, the brain that controls the coordination of muscles is the primary area affected however, depending on the child you may have other areas that are effected as well. Jordan has cerebral palsy coupled with other disabilities. The damage to her brain not only limited her ability to control her muscles, but it also affected her ability to coordinate and control her emotions.
With that being said, often she has a hard time expressing exactly how she feels and putting it into words. She uses whining or crying to express her disappointment, sadness, and anger making it difficult to communicate. Not just at home, but at school when it is time to transition from the classroom to therapy or some other activity that she might find difficult to do. My method of coping with this is when it occurs, I have to stop myself from becoming frustrated or overwhelmed FIRST. The next step is to attempt to calm her down enough that she is listening. I ask Jordan to use her words instead of whining so that I can help her with whatever is bothering her. When the whining and crying occurs because she can't have her way, I will ask her to calm down and stop whining and use your words. When this does not work, the method I use is removing her from the "group/room" until she is ready to join us again without whining. And believe it or not, it works!!! My methods also includes prayer, music (her favorite) and positive words to push past the moment.
Make sure you access the resources available to you, because I didn't for a long time. I was stubborn and thought I could do it on my own. I didn't want any help because I believed that I could do this. Well to my surprise, I needed someone and quick before it was me who was doing the whining and crying LOL!
Your school has a social worker who can guide you in the right direction. If you don't want to join groups, you can always use one-on-one therapy or family therapy. A behavioral therapist is a professional who can help you with tactics to use as you deal with behaviors that effect your day-to-day activities and hinders communication.
Your child is not being difficult, they just do not have the tools to cope with their behavior. Just be prepared that those tools may involve medication to help which isn't bad, just make sure that every option is exhausted before taking this route.
Be blessed and know that God does not put anything on us that we can't handle. He trusts us, so let's try our best to complete the assignment he placed in our lives!!

No comments:

Post a Comment