Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Special Love on Valentine's Day!

As a little girl, my first experience with love was the love of my parents. Of course at the time I didn't know that the feeling was called love. I loved my dolls, I loved music, I loved my sisters, I loved peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, I loved God, and I loved going to church. I believed in true love, and love at first sight, but it wasn't until I actually saw my daughter after she was born did I really know what unconditional love is. The kind of love that God has for all his children, is the love I felt when I gave birth to my daughter. I loved and feared her at the same time because of the sudden premature birth which I knew nothing about. I looked at Jordan and I didn't see the things which were to come, but I saw a beautiful tiny baby with strength in her eyes and in her grip. She was a fighter with determination etched all over her face. She never wavered and continued to grow as I prayed and stayed by her side in the NICU. I had no idea about developmental disabilities nor cerebral palsy, but I did know that I would never leave her side no matter the outcome. It has been 16 years since that first feeling of love and I must say that besides the love that Christ has for me and I for him, there is no greater love! My daughter Jordan represents the meaning of Valentine's Day 365 days of the year. She may not be perfect or even look perfect, but the fact of the matter is that God thought we were perfect for one another. So I'll take the wheelchair, the walker, the surgeries, the behavior, the unknown to come everyday because it is in her perfect smile, that I find the greatest Valentines gift of all. May today and everyday be Valentine's Day for you and your special needs child or family member. My prayer for you is that you find ways to find love in all the imperfections and trials that you face because it will perfect your character! Happy Valentine's Day to every special needs family and remember you are loved!!

1 comment:

  1. Shug this is absolutely beautiful, I remember Jordan's birth like it was yesterday I remember the call and you telling me she was born premature. I remember the first time I held her, how beautiful she was and still is. God never makes a mistake and He knew exactly what he was doing when he put you two together. Jordan has made you a better person and mom and I am so proud and happy to call you my sista/friend and Jordan my goddaughter. May you continue to be encouraged and faithful to your call as a mom with a special needs child.

    ReplyDelete