Sunday, February 5, 2012

Seclusion to Inclusion

I can remember Jordan and all the events that occurred around her age of one years old. It was a period when her diagnosis was undetectable to those who didn't know. She was visibly a healthy beautiful one year old little girl. We had play dates, walks in the park with other moms, birthday parties, and events to attend. Jordan received all the love and attention that any child could possibly receive; as I clanged to hope and faith that God would grant my request and give my daughter the opportunity to crawl and walk. As Jordan grew and the years passed, I was unable to camouflage the condition to which we faced. I was a parent of child who did not walk alone without assistance. As I dealt with the emotional acceptance of her condition, time kept on moving and the equipment kept coming. There was no way I could cover her condition when walking with a wheelchair and the physical features became more profound. I found myself faced with reality; ready or not!

I began to notice subtle changes in where we were invited to, limitations to wheelchair/disability accessible venues. And although Jordan's condition had an effect on her communication, she can have a direct conversation, answer questions, and be engaging when focused; however she is echolaic (repeating phrases/conversations) and easily distracted. This limited her contact with others outside of the world of cerebral palsy and developmental disabilities. It was as if we were secluded from the norm and limited to the disabled world.

One of my goals is to obtain seclusion to inclusion in the lives of children/adults with disabilities. Many are confined or feel left out because of their physical limitations. This must change as we strive to become a society that includes all in spite of differences. While the law requires that stores and facilities accomadate those in wheelchairs are provide access to venues, the inclusion needs to go further. This is where awareness of cerebral palsy should become a priority to those effected by the condition. Technology have designed devices that best suite the disabled, but the prices are far higher than a device for someone without limitations. Does this mean we have to pay for having a disability? Shoe manufactures should design shoes marketed to those in need of orthotics. And the list continues in many areas in society. I will admit that there has been progress, but the message can go further.

Different is okay, but to feel left out is not. Let's press forward to change!

No comments:

Post a Comment