Sunday, February 12, 2012

The Future is Near

Recently I received a letter stating that Jordan was OPWDD (Office for People with Developmental Disabilities) eligible to apply for services offered by agencies committed to the advancement of people with developmental disabilities. OPWDD provides support to people with developmental disabilities the opportunities to receive support in thoughts and feelings and access to their desires and needs. OPWDD connects individuals with disabilities the opportunity for independent living either own their own or in residential facilities. They also provide resources for jobs to become active members of society.

This letter came as a bitter-sweet feeling because for one, my daughter was becoming of age and I have watched her grow right before my eyes. Letting her venture out and find her own is hard pill to swallow because I want to be there for everything, protecting her and guiding her, and although I know I will always be in the process it still made me feel like I was receiving word to begin to let her go a little. Just as the parent with children without any developmental needs feels when their child is about to go off on their own is the same feeling I had. Looking beyond the bitter, the sweet is that Jordan will now have opportunities to work, participate in programs outside of school that will enhance her social skills by developing friendship and experiences.

It is unfortunate that many parents are unaware or do not utilize services to maximize the growth and potential of their children with special needs. While Jordan was in early intervention programs she received social worker, therapy services, assistive technology devices, and nursing services. The social worker made herself available to answer any and every question I had, she outsourced if needed as well. All of Jordan's needs were met with a plan and was fairly easy because those are the services offered within early intervention. But I must admit, when she reached school age it was if I had a carpet snatched from under my feet and pushed to find these services outside of school. It was tough and for years because my pride wouldn't allow me to reach out for help, I handled everything on my own outside of the classroom.

If I had any advice in this area, it would be to open yourself up to what is available for you to receive for your child. Put away pride and embarrassment because this is equally important for you as the parent and for the child transitioning beyond school age. Call your local Department of Community and Mental Health who will direct you through the process. Westchester County Department of Mental Health provided a tremendous amount of help in accessing documents and forms needed to apply. Keep the originals of birth certificates, medical records, IEP reports, psychological evaluations, social security cards, and any other document that could be used to determine that your loved one is disabled.

Remember that your child can only stay "little" but for so long. Eventually, you will need help (take it from me) and the help is there for you to use. Preparing for the future is vital to how your loved one is cared for in the event you are no longer able to care for them because of sickness, or death. I was so emotional when faced with the question "what are your plans for Jordan in the event you die"? It wasn't that I didn't have a support system, but nobody and I mean nobody is going to love and care for her the way mommy does, and it hurt my core to even think of not being here with my child. However, reality quickly set in because I believe we are born to die, however what we do while we are here will be left up to us. Take the time to research areas of estate planning and services to transition your child into adulthood. Take care and may God bless you!

1 comment:

  1. enlightening realistic words:
    "It wasn't that I didn't have a support system, but nobody and I mean nobody is going to love and care for her the way mommy does..."

    ReplyDelete